Photo engraving Via App

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Ryddingsdale

Photo engraving Via App

Post by Ryddingsdale »

Hi, does anyone know of a App that can turn photos into a ready to go DXF pic for engraving on the Laser?, if not whats the best free software to use.

Any help would be grateful
LS 1290 User & 3020 Owner
Daven

Re: Photo engraving Via App

Post by Daven »

Not photo's not that I know of.

Have a look at http://www.mr-soft.net/ I use the R2V program which is good but you need to create a line drawing first.

Best

Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Two very different animals,

DXF = A list of positions or vectors much like grid references.

Pic = a data set made from a selection of pixels with various shades or colours.

Turning a "Picture" colour or greyscale into a DXF can be done but is pointless as the DXF will have two possible states, laser on or laser off. Great for cutting and in some cases outline engraving (kiss cutting / marking) but worthless for doing pictures like news print style.

If you are trying to turn say a sign into a cuttable / engraveable DXF that's a little different and can be done with many of the raster to vector packages, sadly most of them generate spurious lines and make the end result almost as hard to work with as the original.

Longhand redrawing is often the best way and will produce the best results but takes a lot of time and quite a bit of CAD experience.

What pic are you trying to convert? I may be able to help

cheers

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Ryddingsdale

Post by Ryddingsdale »

thanks for replys, I'm just messing, seen a few images on you tube engraved on acrylic and wondered if I could do the same, and thought there might be some kinda software that did the hard work for you.
LS 1290 User & 3020 Owner