Adding mirror to see what's happening?

Moderators: HPC, Daven

bobg

Adding mirror to see what's happening?

Post by bobg »

Hi

Only a week or so into using my new 3020. When starting a job at top left it is good to know when laser strength is correct, however this is precisely the place it is most difficult to see. Any thoughts on adding a (vertical) mirror at the back of the machine above the exhaust slot? This would enable you to see the red dot much easier (but also the point of 'lasering' - is this not good for eyes?).

Bob
LS3020 used for hobby - making model railway buildings/signals etc.
Spooky

Re: Adding mirror to see what's happening?

Post by Spooky »

Hiya Bob,

Sorry I missed this one :) there shouldn't be a problem adding a mirror to enable a better view of the tube etc, laser radiation isn't reflected by acrylic mirror sheet (it's to do with wavelength) so safety should be fine.

I have two clear acrylic inspection windows on my 6840 to keep a watch for tube killing bubbles but may well add a mirror as well to keep an eye on mirror #1.

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
technomupet67

Post by technomupet67 »

Hi,

I was considering myself adding an inspection window to my 6840 as well.
I have the 60w tube which extends slightly on the right of the machine.
How did you setup ? Any chance of a picture ?

Should I worry of any laser scattered light leaks ?
Can I simply replace the metal box with an acrylic one so that I could check for the bubbles ?
There seems to always be a few when I initially start the machine.
The other option I was thinking about was simply to put a cheap webcam in the box with a couple of led lights.

What do you think ?
Oli
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Hi Oil,

On your 6840 the metal box that covers the end of the tube is quite important. In the event of electrical breakdown (the tube blowing) that box provides a direct route to earth for the arc that will flash from the electrode at that end of the tube.
The power system of the 60 watt tube is 22KVa so not toy voltage by any means so a direct route to earth is critical.
If you replaced the box with acrylic you will need to attach a thick copper earth strap to the inside that is earthed to the body of the machine to allow for flash over.
22KVa will jump a 4" gap quite easily and the last thing you want is that route to earth to be through you.

A web cam may work but you will probably find the electrical interference will make any picture redundant, worth a try though :)

On my 6840 I have a 40watt tube so I simply replaced the flat panel at each end with 5mm acrylic, I spoke to Chris and there may be an extended metal box coming that has an inspection window as an upgrade part. Scattered radiation isn't too much of a problem but as always safety of yourself and others has to be considered first, it's like looking directly at the sun without eye protection, you can get away with it for quite a while but it's impossible to state the long term effects if any.

I'll get some pictures of my set up and see if that helps :)

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
technomupet67

Post by technomupet67 »

Dave,
Thank you, always helpful comments.
I will try some old webcam during the weekend and will post back
Thanks
Oli
bobg

Post by bobg »

Hi All

Have the 3020 pro. The mirror I was thinking of adding was in the viewable area - at the back vertically on the panel just above the exhaust outlet - so that I can actually see the red dot in the top left corner before the machine starts cutting/engraving. It's currently hidden by the black bar.

Have overcome this to some extent by adding a 'cardboard corner' with blue tack to the 'mesh box' upon which the work is placed. Now I can accurately position each item before cutting/engraving.

Thanks for the tip about loading files from CorelDraw - a DFX which cuts and a BMP which engraves. By then 'selecting all' from the edit menu machine engraves then cuts - really useful if power settings can be optimised so that they are the same for both.

Really pleased with the machine which I'm using for railway modelling. Have just completed the 'Brewery Corner' complete with walls, capping stones, cobblestones, fencing, gates and some impressive Brewery signs - all at 4mm to the foot.

Am mainly using two-coloured Mounting Card and by engraving through the coloured layer various effects can be achieved as the actual engraved areas appear light to dark brown depending on the power setting. Brick, stone and cobbles are very effective. I'm amazed by how well this card 'hangs together' when cut finely for fencing and gates etc.

Now have five people who've asked 'can you make one for me?!!!!!

How does one upload pictures to the Forum - I'll take a few in the next week or so and what I'm doing may be of interest to other modellers.

Have also now cleaned all my mirrors and even adjusted one - scary but OK.

Cheers
Bob
LS3020 used for hobby - making model railway buildings/signals etc.
avalonman

Post by avalonman »

Can we see some pictures of where these mirrors are placed on the 6840 please
http://www.avalonesoterics.co.uk - Making fire wood with ease.
I own a 6840 purchased april 2011, working from acer 8935g laptop with win8 pro and lasercut 5.3 software
software autocad, adobe, corel, draftcad all legal