Johns Money Saving Tips

Moderators: HPC, Daven

johnb80

Johns Money Saving Tips

Post by johnb80 »

Hi,
Not been on here for a while, I've been busy! What has happened is I've experienced very inconsistant cutting with my 6040 machine and I've worked hard to find solutions!

The first problem was finally tracked down to water temperature. As time went on during cutting, the temperature increased and the cutting speed had to come down. Even during winter in an unheated workshop I could achieve 38 deg C which had dramatic efefcts on cutting speed and made the results variable. The solution is simple - cool the water but how? I know that very nice laser coolers are available at £250 plus and that kind of irritated me. I eventually found a very cost effective solution. I bought from a well know aution site a water cooler (drinking fountain type), nice little fridge plant in there, I can hold temps down at 10 deg C whilst cutting and it does it with ease. I simply piped the water into it from the pump and the pipe that fed the tap on top fed into the laser. A fridge tehrmostat from ebay with a remote bulb did the rest. Total cost ? and incredible £5.85 - £2.85 for the thermostat and £3 for the cooler, I actually bought 2, one for spares.

Regards - John