Chiller temperature

Moderators: HPC, Daven

davehills

Chiller temperature

Post by davehills »

I have an HPC 'Ice cream' type chiller and have been reading about the benefits of a lower coolant temperature with regards to quality of cut.

I'm running at 15C (I think) but would there be any benefit in running colder? Should I lower the temperature now that a hot summer is on its way (Ha!)? What's the minimum practical temperature?

Can I ask what temperature are people are generally running at and how are you finding these temperatures?

Edit: The machine is indoors.
Daven

Re: Chiller temperature

Post by Daven »

I doubt you would notice much difference in the range of 15 to 21c - higher and the tube may not like it (will actually stop cutting over 25+) lower will not have much benefit other than maybe letting you cut a bit longer in hot conditions.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
PhillyDee

Post by PhillyDee »

Any lower than 15 degrees and you are just wasting power to be honest. Mine is set to 15 degrees, and it starts chilling it at anything over 16.
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

An ex LS3020 user now playing with an LS6840PRO (60W) and an LS1290PRO (80W)
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Same as Dave & Phil, 15 - 21 range but stability is good...if you can keep it to 2 degrees (say 16 to 18) then the beam will be premium quality ;)

Lasers function better the colder they get BUT and it's a BIG BUT too cold and you risk condensation issues....best to stay at 15 and above.
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
davehills

Post by davehills »

OK, thanks for that. I'll leave it at 15C. Never had any condensation issues.

There are times it can get hammered for the entire day, so won't set it any higher, what with the summer coming up.