Any D&T Techncians on the forum ?

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Pedro_Hernandez

Any D&T Techncians on the forum ?

Post by Pedro_Hernandez »

Hi

Just a call out to fellow D & T Tech's out there.

I thought it would be nice to start a thread were we can share our experiences and pool our knowledge of using lasers in schools.

Healthy & Safety, Risk Assesments and so on.

Either reply to this forum or PM me.

Kind Regards

Peter
HPC1290 User HPC 3020 Owner
phil2simmons

Re: Any D&T Techncians on the forum ?

Post by phil2simmons »

Hi Peter

I am a part time D&T technician (3 days a week) and I job share with 2 others. We got our machine after the summer hols last year so we are still very much learning.

Phil
Pedro_Hernandez

Hey Phil

It's just me in our dept, though we have a part time Textiles/Food Tech. I've only been in the job for a year, but have worked with lasers for the last three years.

If your up for it maybe you can give me advice/tips on being a D&T Tech and I'll gladly exchange laser info/laser ready files and so on.

I put in for this course at my school, http://www.rta-training.co.uk/course229.php but the decided they didnt need me to go on, which is a shame as at the moment I only have a Industry perspective on laser cutting. might be worth checking it out.

Cheers

Peter
HPCLaser

Post by HPCLaser »

Good morning, do you have the ls3020 I'm your school? Or are you looking to purchase one?
Charlotte
Pedro_Hernandez

HPCLaser wrote:Good morning, do you have the ls3020 I'm your school? Or are you looking to purchase one?
Charlotte
Morning Charlotte

The School has a HPC 1290, I think they've had it for nearly two years now, I'm personaly after a smaller table top laser like 3020 for my own use though.

Regards

Peter
phil2simmons

Post by phil2simmons »

Hi Peter
We have a freeze on all spending at the moment, this will run on to the end of April, so all courses are off at the moment. I will pass the link onto my faculty head though thanks.

I had never used a laser before we got ours so we are learning very slowly, lots of other things to do at the moment with year 11's and 13's getting stuck into their individual designs which we technicians help with to advise on techniques and the actual work, I often wonder what grades the kids would get without our help. We still have 1 D&T teacher not trained on the laser, she concentrates more on fabrics so it will be interesting to see how she gets on. Some of the kids have played with engraving denim which worked well.

Anyway, the older kids are quite inventive/imaginitive when it comes to the laser, we also get a couple of art students using the machine creating 3D effects with different materials. So quite a lot of my time is taken up maintaining the machine and training.

Phil
nottinghamhigh

Post by nottinghamhigh »

Hello fellow Tekkies!

I've been a DT Technician since 2004. At my previous school I was on a team of 3, but I moved to a boys school last year, so I work alone now. Nice to have some contact with others who are doing the same job.
We got an LS 6090 machine in the summer. It is getting lots of use & the kids are producing some interesting work! Any ideas for small projects for lunchtime club would be very helpful!

Sally
Pedro_Hernandez

Hi Sally

I've only been a Tech since November last year, I'm still a learner at the moment !. Lunchtime club ?, unfortunately as a department we dont do one of those.
What kind of projects do they do?, maybe I've got some ideas/files than can be modified to suit.

Kind Regards

Peter