School project work

Moderators: HPC, Daven

graham jimmison

Re: School project work

Post by graham jimmison »

Hi we've just purchased a laser cutter and i'm sure we will make good use of it! Just wandering if anyone has had a go at engraving pcb's with a laser cutter. we currently use the denford micro router with an engraving bit on copper clad board to do ours. With a laser cutter i'm sure we would be able to do a better job.
Jazmin

Post by Jazmin »

Hi David,

Great projects!

I am considering the 9060 laser cutter and was wondering which one you are using, how long you have had it, reliability and whether you have had to buy any spare parts etc...

Many thanks
HPCLaser

Post by HPCLaser »

Hi These are BRILLIANT examples the material cutting part of lasers is not really touched upon we did a craft and stich show this year but they are not really into using lasers ?
Why not ?
Also some schools are using them on food.......
Laser engraved school logos on digestives, Apples for the teachers etc.
Let us know what youve done ?
Thanks Chris
HPCLaser

Post by HPCLaser »

Jazmin wrote:Hi David,

Great projects!

I am considering the 9060 laser cutter and was wondering which one you are using, how long you have had it, reliability and whether you have had to buy any spare parts etc...

Many thanks
graham jimmison wrote:Hi we've just purchased a laser cutter and i'm sure we will make good use of it! Just wandering if anyone has had a go at engraving pcb's with a laser cutter. we currently use the denford micro router with an engraving bit on copper clad board to do ours. With a laser cutter i'm sure we would be able to do a better job.
Hi Graham,
I have spoken to a school recently and even though the lasers cant do metal they paint on the resist and laser this off then etch it .
it aparrently saves lots of time and hassel
Thanks Chris
bob

Post by bob »

Has anyone made any planes????
Looking for some simple Chuck ones in Depron or balsa..
Any help appreciated
Thanks Bob :idea:
David

Post by David »

Replies to several questions...

We've had our 6040 for something like 18 months - given regular cleaning, no problems with the laser itself, but the XCL fume extractor consumes filters at an alarming rate. Part of the reason is that most of our school work is cutting rather than engraving, which generates significant quantities of fume/residue, and that a number of projects use softwood or MDF. Even so, I am surprised that school use seems to equate to industrial use in terms of filter life - I understand a Bofa filter is now the recommended solution rather than XCL, possibly this is better? Filter issues aside, no problems with the laser itself - it does virtually everything that our first laser (Gravograph LS800) would do at 1/3 initial cost and without extortionately priced spares (£7,391+VAT+fitting for a replacement 30W tube at 2008 prices)

I've had some success engraving the space between tracks on pre-painted copper clad board as an alternative to light sensitive pcb: cheaper materials but more expensive once technician / staff time is taken into account. What has been of greater use is to engrave the track layout on the top (grp) surface of opaque (very cheap) pcb as an aid to fitting components: again, cost/benefit may be limited if wages are compared with buying better quality translucent pcb material...

Regarding depron / balsa gliders: look at the '6090 New Install' thread. The round-the-pole / fly by wire angle is being taken up by Aerospace Wales as an alternative to F1 in Schools - this should take off in 2010 (!)

David
DaveWheeler

Post by DaveWheeler »

bob wrote:Has anyone made any planes????
Looking for some simple Chuck ones in Depron or balsa..
Any help appreciated
Thanks Bob :idea:
Hi. Our laser arrived today at The Grove School. A big thank you to HPC for a very smooth installation.
Being a RC plane nut I had to have a go and start to produce a little radio controlled balsa plane from scratch. This is how far I've got in one afternoon thanks to the ease of use of the HPC system. Drawn in 2D design if anyone wants the files.
balsa_plane1.jpg
Wing frame and fuselage parts.
(125.08 KiB) Downloaded 1180 times
balsa_plane3.jpg
Fuselage assembly started. Ply plate shown to attach undercarriage.
(93.35 KiB) Downloaded 1180 times
balsa_plane4.jpg
Getting there....
(90.32 KiB) Downloaded 2112 times
HPCLaser

Post by HPCLaser »

Hi Dave,
Didnt think it would be long before you started playing BUT WOW!!!!
All that in an afternoon,
Thanks For your help/Coffee.
;) Chris
Cant wait to see the finished Item
DaveWheeler

Post by DaveWheeler »

Hi Chris

We're still getting to grips with our new toy, but it has already been used in lessons.

I've also been experimenting. This little carry box for a palm size micro helicopter only took 30 minutes to draw and then less than that to cut out and glue together.
BladeMSr_Box1.jpg
(128.57 KiB) Downloaded 1177 times
BladeMSr_Box2.jpg
(119.61 KiB) Downloaded 1177 times
BladeMSr_Box3.jpg
(77.87 KiB) Downloaded 2109 times
DaveWheeler

Post by DaveWheeler »

I've also been working on another RC plane. This one is a delta shape. A little trickier to draw. All those intersecting joints!
Blink_Delta_Enlarged.jpg
(229.94 KiB) Downloaded 1177 times
Blink_Delta_Enlarged2.jpg
(209.48 KiB) Downloaded 1177 times