Very very thin brass sheets

Moderators: HPC, Daven

miniaturemaniac

Very very thin brass sheets

Post by miniaturemaniac »

Hi

I have some very thin brass sheets and wondered if I can actually cut it (with my LS3020) and engrave on it. Its that thin you can cut it easy with scissors but I want (would like) to cut more intricate tiny items. I am presuming its a big ask, but I am hoping it is possible.

I have just replaced my tube so I would rather check with the experts before I try it - I don't want to damage anything!

Sue
Spooky

Re: Very very thin brass sheets

Post by Spooky »

Hi Sue,

@35 ish watts you aren't going to do very much to brass past warm it up a little. The copper in it is a very good conductor of heat and will dissipate the power of the laser very quickly. Backscatter may also not do your final optics much good either so I'd advise against it.

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
miniaturemaniac

Post by miniaturemaniac »

Thanks Dave
I am so glad I asked the experts first.

Sue
LinkspanModels

Post by LinkspanModels »

Old topic but quite relevant for me!!

How about engraving brass sheet with an 80W tube?

Any advice?

Cheers!!
Carl
Daven

Post by Daven »

To my knowledge - no - not unless you use an agent such as Cermark which really just coats the metal rather than engrave.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC