Strange tracing problem with Inkscape?

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Rog

Strange tracing problem with Inkscape?

Post by Rog »

Hi everyone.

I'm pulling my hair out with inkscape.

I don't usually have a problem with tracing images in Inkscape but now and again I do and I can't for the life of me work out what's happening.

Normally you pull a file into Inkscape, path->trace bitmap = no problem.

Now and again I have a file that will not trace.
I've been asked to produce a sign for someone. They've supplied me with an AI file.

The above method does not work. There's nothing being shown in the preview box.
There's nothing under the image so its not like it has traced it and you can't see it. There's just nothing.

I've googled it, you tubed it and I can't find anyone with this problem.

I can just about fumble my way through inkscape and manage the bare mininum I need, I'm more a Draftsight guy and use that 99% of the time.

I've tried ungrouping the image - trace - no good
saving as png and other formats, re-opening in Inkscape and tracing that - no good.
Saving as a DXF and opening that in Draftsight but there's portions of the image missing.

Has anyone else had issues where they can't always trace an image? What is the work around?
Daven

Re: Strange tracing problem with Inkscape?

Post by Daven »

I don't use Inkscape a lot - you could make sure it is not a layer issue so merge all down if that is an option (I seem to remember having similar issue but not on trace).

I use SimplyR2V from MrSoft but you would need to save the AI to a JPG to convert to DXF

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Rog

Post by Rog »

Cheers Dave,

I can't seem to find how to flatten the image.
I deffo think it's a layer issue, just can't work it out.

I've managed to draw in what's needed with draftsight. It's not perfect but woul dneed a keen eye to spot it.

Thanks anyway,
Rog
Daven

Post by Daven »

If you wanted to pm me the file I can have a look.

Converting from AI is a pain and explaining it to customers who don't understand is the bane of my life! :lol:
Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC