Blocked Output coupler

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Redrum100

Blocked Output coupler

Post by Redrum100 »

Hi

I have a 3050 with a 60w Tube. I'm using the external 35l tub and pump for cooling.

My waterflow is very restricted and I think the issue is down to the output coupler of the tube.

I have checked flow pre and post the coupler and all seems to be normal.

I have bypassed the flow sensor and cleaned and checked the pipework.

So I was going to couple up just the in /out of the coupler to the water source and add something to it to try and shift the blockage.

I have tried a wire inside the coupler and it hasn't helped.

Any suggestions for a concentrated cleaning solution?

Cheers

Rob
Daven

Re: Blocked Output coupler

Post by Daven »

Hi Rob - is it the version with an aluminium coupler?

If so you will have difficulty. Being the shape of a doughnut the wire will not go much further than the end of the pipe. I tried different solutions but never found one that worked. I have always used de-ionised water and I think it is the ali leaching away causing maybe a foam in the cap (just a theory). I did slice an old one open once and that's what it looked like.

Chances are that if you run it by bypassing the flow switch it will gradually overheat and the tube crack or in one case the glue holding the mirror in place melted!

I would get a new tube to be honest - once you have it as spare you can maybe try other slightly more aggressive methods.
Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Redrum100

Post by Redrum100 »

Hi Dave

Thanks for the quick reply and suggestions.

The coupler is aluminium. I had tried the wire and as you say it is limited in what it can achieve.

My thoughts were the tube is fairly old and probably needs replacing anyway.

However as I am in the middle of production I would like to try and clear the blockage.

I think it has gunged up with the hard calcifiation as I have lots of yellow bits in the tube.

Not sure if that is the correct name for it but I was wondering if I connect the pump directly across the donut I could try
a solution that might help break down and shift the worst of it, even a 10% increase in flow would be helpful.

I am aware that the other particles in the tube are going to make the situation worse but It's a short term fix I guess.

Do you have any suggestions for something that can 'dissolve' the build up?

Thanks

Rob
Daven

Post by Daven »

Hi Rob,
Yes that is exactly the same issue I had.

Yes running the water through as you suggested is what I tried. From memory I seem to recall trying bleach, descaler and even tried soaking an old one in coke! None seemed to work.

I suspect you need something that will dissolve the gunk that is caused by the reaction to the aluminium (aluminium dioxide?)

The latest tubes are brass but I now add a small amount of chlorine (sold for spa's etc). This helps to keep the water clean from algae as well.

Best
Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Redrum100

Post by Redrum100 »

Hi Dave

Thanks for letting me know.

I’ll have a go with something - shame my dad doesn’t smoke anymore as I would have tried one of his pipe cleaners!

Cheers

Rob
Daven

Post by Daven »

No problems ;)
Yep tried a pipe cleaner but it didn't seem to go right around the circle and may have push the gunk further in...

Compressed air may help - can't remember trying that but you would need to make sure it was safe and not blow back towards you.

Good luck and let us know how you get on ;)

Best
Dave
Redrum100

Post by Redrum100 »

Just an update - I got a new tube fitted by HPC and the laser now works a treat. I hadn't realised how down on power the old tube was.

I've had a look at cleaning the coupler on the old tube and as you mentioned it seems very difficult.

So for now it's on hold while I do some real work!

Do you have any recommends for additive to my deoinised water- it's a tub with a pump in the bottom. I am worried I might start getting a build up
soon and I want to head that one off.

Best

Rob
Daven

Post by Daven »

I use chlorine granules you can buy for hot tubs at DIY sheds - just a teaspoon full seems to help every few months.
Best
Dave