Locating part on laser bed

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Markaj

Locating part on laser bed

Post by Markaj »

Hi, I am looking for a way of locating a part resonably on the laser bed. Is there a way of centring it on the red pointer dot?
I have Lasercut 6.1 & can only find a means to set the start & end cut position, not an option to set the datum to the middle of the piece - is there one? There isnt a cut in the centre of the piece, so I cant just start the laser in the middle.
At the moment I am eyeballing the profile made by the red pointer when you hit test - which sorta works, but the head moves a little bit too fast to judge accurately. Is there a way of slowing the speed the head moves at when you hit 'test'?
Any thoughts? - The machine is a 60w LS3040.
TIA, Mark
Daven

Re: Locating part on laser bed

Post by Daven »

Hi Mark,
I don't have 6.1 so not sure.

Do do this I normally cut a template of the outline and use that as a datum - for small parts that is ;)

Give HPC a call - I think you can slow the test speed down but not sure on 6.1
Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Markaj

Post by Markaj »

Thanks Dave,
Ah - so cut a hole in something, and leave it on the bed as a jig to drop the part into??
It would be nice to be able to centre the red dot on the centre of the part & have it cut the profile though!
Cheers, Mark
Daven

Post by Daven »

Yes that's what I do using MDF or Ply

You can centre the part on LaserCut (Ctrl Y) and then untick 'Immediate' and that will centre the part but not at the centre of the part.

Best
Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Markaj

Post by Markaj »

Cutting a template is a reasonable way of doing this, this is how I did it;
Draw the profile of the part you want to work on in CAD plus say .5mm clearance to allow the part to drop into the hole. Then download the file twice onto the laser, once with the outline only to cut the template/hole in the ply, and secondly to engrave/cut onto the part you drop into the hole.
Needless to say - dont move the laser head between cuts!
As long as you fix the template to the bed & dont move anything, just keep dropping the parts in for the second op.
Daven

Post by Daven »

Yep - that's the way ;)

The next trick it to set that up for multiples and using the 'set array' option :D