Air Compressor Inside Laser Cutter

Moderators: HPC, Daven

cd1986

Air Compressor Inside Laser Cutter

Post by cd1986 »

Has anyone tried moving the air compressor inside the laser cutter (LS6840) to shorten the the hose and increase the airflow? It looks like there might be room for it at the back of the laser bed, underneath where the laser tube is.
Daven

Re: Air Compressor Inside Laser Cutter

Post by Daven »

I would be careful that it does not suck in fumes as the could be counter productive (not sure of the layout of the 6840) also you may have to soundproof it as the cabinet could amplify the noise and lastly the vibrations may not be a good idea depending on the pump ;)

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
cd1986

Post by cd1986 »

Ah good point. I hadn't thought about the fumes. the only other place for it would be the cupboard on the bottom but that wouldn't really shorten the tubes enough to be worth it.

Thanks Dave!
Daven

Post by Daven »

No worries - if you use the machine a lot I would go for a silent compressor - I have two small Titan's and they are great. I can alter the air flow depending on the material needs and they switch off until the pressure drops so you get a break from the hum of the pump - possibly a bit quieter than the standard air pump!
Best
Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
cd1986

Post by cd1986 »

The noise doesn't bother me too much as we have 2x LS6840's running pretty much all day as well as a wide format and a flatbed printer so you get used to the noise. I've read that better airflow can help reduce the smoke burn though, which is what I'm primarily interested in. I did upgrade one of the air compressors to one of the same type/brand, just a bigger one but that made no difference. The output hose was a lot larger though so I had to reduce the hose size, which may have affected performance.

Can you recommend a specific titan compressor that will reduce smoke burn on wood (We cut a lot of Oak veneered MDF)?
Daven

Post by Daven »

I have a 22l and that works well but if I had room I would go larger purly to get a bit more time between the pump topping up )

Oak and mdf - possibly the worst combo for smoke stain :) Good extraction will help too.

Best
Dave