What a Fun Day - New tube & Optics

Moderators: HPC, Daven

llamalasers

What a Fun Day - New tube & Optics

Post by llamalasers »

After a nice 300 mile round trip to HPC HQ yesterday, I got some new parts for the machine that has been used almost every day for three and a half years! A real testament to the quality of the components HPC supply.

A few issues throughout the day, playing about with the wiring and having flow issues and after a few hours I had the tube working and was ready to set up the optics which to my surprise was a lot easier than I remember. Was cutting within 10 minutes and very pleased to be back up to 22mm/s @70p (had dropped down to 10mm/s @90p the past 2 months).

Replaced my chiller too because I thought the old one was faulty, turns out after a load of head scratching and troubleshooting that it was gunk in the flow sensor causing problems and cleaning it out things were working then suddenly not again. So spent an hour cursing and ended up scouring threads on here until I found that it was most likely the flow sensor still causing the issue, so I shorted it to test if that was stopping the laser firing and that was indeed the cause. Easily replaced for a few quid so will do that next week.

Another thing I finally realised today is that I was putting the lens in the holder wrong all this time, I put the rubber seal in then the lens and always had to turn and tap it to get it central. Had a sudden flash of inspiration and realised there was a recess for the lens there and the rubber goes in on top before tightening. Dumb ass I am sometimes.

So long and short of it, our machine is still trucking, a few new parts fitted and it's working good as new.

Right, gonna go back to daydreaming about the LS1390 Fiber Laser.

HPC for life 8-)
Last edited by llamalasers on Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
60W LS6840 & CW4000
started out with LS3040
Daven

Re: What a Fun Day - New tube & Optics

Post by Daven »

:D Nice new tube is always a good feeling!

Well done.

Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
llamalasers

Post by llamalasers »

Only had it once before with the LS3040, along with nice new optics, it certainly is a good feeling when everything cuts right.

Wishing you well :)
60W LS6840 & CW4000
started out with LS3040
Daven

Post by Daven »

Thanks, yes they are great when working but always seem to pick the worst time to to wrong, luckily not very often ;)
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
llamalasers

Post by llamalasers »

Aye..

Had a real worry when my Roland LEF20 temporarily packed in the other day just after a huge product launch, that was a proper ring clencher.

At least with the laser I can give HPC a call, get the parts myself and fit them in a day or two.
The printer remains a mystery how it works and what would happen should it properly pack in, I'll probably just jump out of the window tbh.
60W LS6840 & CW4000
started out with LS3040
Daven

Post by Daven »

Yeah that's fine if you have had your money's worth out of it! I have a Jet drum sander and the feed belt started to rip. No supplies in this country, main dealer states a 5 month lead time from Jet!! Luckily got it from Czech Republic for little more than haer (if it was in stock!!).

Cheers
Dave