laser not firing

Moderators: HPC, Daven

jotech

laser not firing

Post by jotech »

I have looked at NCAMACHO200 previous post but still unable to identify the fault with my 6540H

New tube fitted 6 months ago with less than 10 hours actual use.

Unit left standing for 4 months unused

Lasercut software works fine and everything downloads ok

Front panel says laser 100%/100%

After going to the menus the laser settings are 112ms and 90% ?

There is a button labelled test on the laser PSU , press this nothing seems to happen. There is a steady Green LED next to this button.

Connections to laser tube seem good.

Water flow is good.

I can see lots of Green LED’s on what I presume is the processor board flickering, would I be able to confirm if the door interlock is working easily ?

Probably at the point of having to get somebody in to help but thought I would just ask here if there is anything else I can try ?
Cheers
John
Spooky

Re: laser not firing

Post by Spooky »

Hiya John,

It is possible to bypass both the flow control sensors and safety interlocks, sadly it's not something I or anybody else can post here due to the potential for accidents :( I would best guess it will be either the door switch or flow sensor both of which are very cheap replacements.

If you give HPC a call I'm sure Chris or one of the guys will be able to help, sorry it's not much help but I'm sure you understand that playing about inside the cabinet near to 25 thousand volts isn't wise at best.

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
ncamacho2000

Post by ncamacho2000 »

Hi

Sorry not sure if I put down the solution to my problem, but turns out it was the waterflow sensor that got stuck (mine was also left standing for some time) . A few squeezes on the tube near to it solved the solution. I did in the end clean it up and it now seems to work fine. I wouldn't of got to the bottom of it without speaking to Chris from HPC, he helped me diagnose it.

In the end I did get them out for a service which has helped a lot as my machine needed a bit more attention. P.S my older 6040 doesn't have door switch safety in place not sure about the newer models though.

Hope this helps a little - Don't go near the PSU, I have been told they can hold a charge even when switched off for 24hrs
jotech

Post by jotech »

Thanks Spooky and ncamacho2000 for the replies, I believe I have traced the fault to the FLOW SENSOR, so now need to identify replacement etc.

I am wondering if an alternative design of float sensor is available?? it seems as though this part may be a weakness in these devices. It seems plausible to me that the switch is seizing if the machine is left idle for a while. The water was drained off prior to storage, residue water could remain trapped in the assembly. Dunno, just a thought ... :?

Cheers
John
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

The mode of failure is usually the water supply rather than the actual sensors, if the unit is still electrically good then just cleaning it up will usually fix the problem :)

Sorry about not being able to post the bypass method but I'm sure you understand why ;)

cheers

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
jotech

Post by jotech »

It seems in this case that something internal was stuck, a bit of squeezing of the flexible tube each side of the sensor seems to have free it up now, Re BYPASS, totally understand why it should not be posted, I have some experience of high voltage PSU’s gained from working In TV repair industry and remain very wary of these things........ :!: