Meniscus Lens surface gone?

Moderators: HPC, Daven

ncamacho2000

Meniscus Lens surface gone?

Post by ncamacho2000 »

Hi all i wonder if you can help? My Laser is a 6040

Im pretty sure my Meniscus Lens has had its day as the surface on both sides seems to of rubbed off (see photos). The lens itself doesnt seem to be scratched but the surface has gone. Does this mean its had its day? Also i havnt noticed any quality issues when using the laser, is this doing any damage to my laser or work that im engraving?

Thanks everyone, All comments appreciated.

Yours Nigel
Attachments
Lens 2
Lens 2
Lens 1
Lens 1
PhillyDee

Re: Meniscus Lens surface gone?

Post by PhillyDee »

I take it you have tried using IPA to clean the lens? Could just be discolouration.

Either way, I would get a spare and use it till it breaks :D
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

An ex LS3020 user now playing with an LS6840PRO (60W) and an LS1290PRO (80W)
ncamacho2000

Post by ncamacho2000 »

Thanks for that, yes the photo i have provided is the lens as clean as i can get it with Lens Cleaner. There is definitely some removal of the surface layer on both sides, this may have been a redish tinted looking layer? But just concerned that im doing some damage or not getting the results i should with it the way it is. (it still doesn't look scratched though)

I was thinking the same, maybe invest in a new one and replace when the current lens gives up.

Thanks
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Looks very much like the way our first lens went eventually. It's perfectly natural for the lens coatings to deteriorate over time - after all, they have a lot of Watts passing through them!
Having a spare set of optics is always a good idea just in case the worse happens - but when we got ours we decided to put it on the machine straight away (keeping the old set as 'reserves'). It was quite surprising how much difference it made to both the 'tightness' of the kerf and the laser power. I suppose the 'clouding' happens so slowly that you don't notice it until you put in a new one.
Chrisj

Post by Chrisj »

Hi This is generally caused by moisture over time... as the beam warms it up you get some moisture that eventually along with smoke/IPA and rubbing will remove the coating,
It does make a difference although you get used to the cutting as the coating is also anti reflective ad an amount of power can be reflected back and not through the lens.
As a company we find this marking most common if a smoke build up is on the lens and more frequent cleaning would help.
We always keep the lenses in stock and they are only £75.00 each
Keep the other as a spare and treat yourself !!!
Regards Chris ;)
ncamacho2000

Post by ncamacho2000 »

Thanks everyone, i think i will buy myself a new lens and keep a spare as this seems to be the way to get better results. Interestingly i do notice a kerf but couldn't put this down to anything so a new lens may help with this. Ill definitely buy it from HPC as the help from the forum has been great.

Thanks everyone for your help i really appreciate the input.

Nigel