How to close lines?

Moderators: HPC, Daven

nraines

How to close lines?

Post by nraines »

I'm importing some 2D design work into Lasercut 5.3 and I'm having some serious trouble with engraving?

It won't engrave the lines I've selected it to and when downloading to the lasercutter it shows an error box- Laser output: Engrave polyline must be closed. How do I close the polyline?

I'm a complete newbie to this software and appreciate it's probably something really stupid I'm missing...

Any help is much appreciated :roll:

Thanks!
Daven

Re: How to close lines?

Post by Daven »

I don't know 2D Design but in the CAD software I use it is an option called Join. The PEdit option can also be used with a set distance if the lines have not snapped into place.

You can unite lines in Lasercut but to my knowledge it will not join so it is best to do it in 2D Design.

Cheers
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
HPC

Post by HPC »

In Lasercut, Tools > Unite lines at Tolerance 0.01 will usually close any gaps that should not be there, but as Dave says, this is not really for joining lines, it is used when what should be one line is broken into several.

If you are trying to engrave a line though, you would need to set it to Cut rather than Engrave, and lower the power/increase the speed so that it only marks the material instead of cutting through it. Engrave fills an area, which is why the line needs to be closed.

Regards,
HPC
nraines

Post by nraines »

Thank you for this. I've found success in using a long thin rectangle (in 2D Design) rather than a line. But I will bear in mind the above as another approach.

Thanks very much for your help.

Natalie