Clear antifreeze

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Diysurgeon

Clear antifreeze

Post by Diysurgeon »

Found some in ASDA today p. £4 for one litre.
Spooky

Re: Clear antifreeze

Post by Spooky »

Careful with some anti freeze buddy, the commercial ones have additives that laser tubes don't like.

I'd council getting some of the HPC LaserCool stuff, I've used it down to -12 C and up to 25C without a hint of problems.
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Diysurgeon

Post by Diysurgeon »

Thanks for the heads up. I need to find out what the difference is.
TimBobTastic

Post by TimBobTastic »

Spooky wrote:Careful with some anti freeze buddy, the commercial ones have additives that laser tubes don't like.
I have not had my machine long, but when I purchased it in February it was still frosty so I decided buying the correct anti freeze from HPC was better than running a heater 24/7 or even worse, damaging a tube... It it not cheep, but in my mind, it is cost effective...

Personally I would rather buy the product specified by the guys that sold me the machine..... they know it better than any of us, and from what I have found, HPC are really competitive on many of their products... (I always try to get a better deal, but seldom find the same for less anywhere else, it is important to compare apple to apples though...)

That said, I have the chiller so only need to use a relatively small amount compared to some....

I did look at cheaper options to start with... but figured taking a punt on a cheaper product had a potential to cost me many times more than the cost of the anti freeze from HPC if things went wrong because of my decision.... The down time alone caused by a tube damaged by using the wrong antifreeze could cost me more than the replacement tube, let alone the cost of buying the recommended antifreeze.

Spooky offers some wise advice... (but then he always does :D )
LS3060 PLUS with a 60w tube, Chiller and Bofa filter :-)
Online Store http://www.t2kreations.co.uk
Personal Website... http://www.timbobtastic.com