Stinky Acrylic

Moderators: HPC, Daven

SillyJokes

Stinky Acrylic

Post by SillyJokes »

My last lot of acrylic was 3mm Acycast didn't smell too bad.

I've just got some new stuff and it stinks the place out, its Acryglas XT, its the same manufacturer as previously and the data sheet says it can be laser cut, the difference is that this is extruded not cast.

What's the least smelly brand type of acrylic, for my next purchase.

Thanks
Owner of a new LS3040 PRO
Daven

Re: Stinky Acrylic

Post by Daven »

Extruded smells worse than cast no matter what brand. Perspex and Amari are the best out of the different brands I have tried.

Cheers
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
PhillyDee

Post by PhillyDee »

As Daven says.

Extruded - better tolerance on thickness, smells pretty bad, burrs on the underside when cutting. Cheaper.
Cast - poorer tolerance on thickness, can vary a great deal, smells pretty meutral, no burrs. More expensive.
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

An ex LS3020 user now playing with an LS6840PRO (60W) and an LS1290PRO (80W)
llamalasers

Post by llamalasers »

Blue Perspex smells really stinky eggy but apart from that I find all Perspex to be pretty good on the smell front.
60W LS6840 & CW4000
started out with LS3040
keithwright

Post by keithwright »

We normally use 'Perspex' but do have a nice BOFA extractor so stink very low anyway (school). A good extractor is very helpful.