Help with larger shapes not cutting

Moderators: HPC, Daven

CamG

Help with larger shapes not cutting

Post by CamG »

Hi,
i'm having some trouble with cutting 3mm perspex, it seems that smaller/ more intricate detail will cut fine, but once I go above a certain size, it's just not getting through, for example, on the attached pic, the smaller elephant will cut easily at 55% 9mm/s on 40w however the exact same settings and piece of material on the larger octopus fails, except the smaller cutout parts, which again seem to go through fine. Any ideas? I'm wasting a whole bunch of perspex here :(
CamG

Re: Help with larger shapes not cutting

Post by CamG »

probably should have said, the elephant is around 1.5" long and the octopus around 3.5
Daven

Post by Daven »

Checked the focus and mirror alignment?

Is the Perspex fully supported? As the cut progresses the sheet could slump and affect the cut...

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
CamG

Post by CamG »

both seem fine, it's cutting perfectly just inches from where it's failing, it almost seems like on longer lines it's getting up too much speed and not going all the way through due to this. I've noticed this before, particularly on diagonals where both motors are moving at the same time.Any way it could be miscalculating?
Tom

Post by Tom »

Cam G
there seems to be a bit of ghosting on the octopus check the alignment

Tom

Edit Daven as said it :oops:
Daven

Post by Daven »

What machine and software?

Best
Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
CamG

Post by CamG »

ls3020 pro LSCT running laserscript
Daven

Post by Daven »

Check the corner power is the same maybe? Does the same cut go wrong anywhere on the bed?

The only thing I know of that degrades the cut during the process is water temp, I guess it could be possible that the pump is not running as efficient or a kink in a tube so the tube overheats during the cut. Cut the octopus immediately followed by the elephant and see what happens.

There are acceleration settings but I would advise talking to HPC before changing them ;)

Best
Dave
CamG

Post by CamG »

yep, same all over the bed and corner power is the same, i've tried cutting smaller bits straight before and after with the same result. I finally got this design working this morning by dropping the power 10% (to 45%) and the speed down to 8. I'd rather have it running faster but i guess i'll have to make do for the moment.
Lightnin

Post by Lightnin »

My 1`st thought was corner power too.

On smaller tighter corners it will slow down.
On larger and straighter cuts it will be faster.

Try slowing down the whole thing slightly , and see if the larger shapes cut.