Something burned out - LS3050

Moderators: HPC, Daven

GlenH

Something burned out - LS3050

Post by GlenH »

Hi, hope someone can help me identify what this burned out part is in the photo, and any clues to why it might have happened.
IMG_20200903_143129008.jpg
It looks like a series of power jumpers, which ties in with what happened. Half way through a cut, everything stopped - the laser cutter, and the three things plugged into the cutter's rear power outlets (fume filter, cooler, air compressor). Oddly, the interior worklight was still on! I was cutting wood-fibre-based sheets and just thought to myself, that is odd - I can smell burning plastic. And then it all stopped. Not sure if you can see in the photo but the perspex cover just below the wires (which was covering them at the time) has got a big melty hole in it right over the burned out wire/terminal.

There were some unusual things going on just before this happened. I cancelled an epc file upload to the machine, as I realised it was the wrong drawing, then the machine and software/dongle lost sync, so the usual turning everything off and back on again had to be done to recover things.

I guess the main thing I need to know is, would it be safe to use if just replaced the burned out jumper? And shouldn't a fuse have blown somewhere before this level of excess amps went through it?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Glen
Daven

Re: Something burned out - LS3050

Post by Daven »

Hi Glen - best call HPC on this one ;)
Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
GlenH

Re: Something burned out - LS3050

Post by GlenH »

Thanks Dave.

I have found an identical replacement terminal block for about £4, the original is distorted and cracking a bit. I have some 24A wire (heavier duty than the original) and have also ordered some blade connectors. So I will swap out the bits, replace all the jumpers, and hope that this was a localised issue with the heavily burned jumper wire - perhaps it became corroded and went very high resistance.

I am just hoping the odd behaviour immediately beforehand was coincidental. What little confidence I had in the very clunky Lasercut software and the Leetro motion control boards will evaporate completely if it turns out they are to blame.

The only good news so far is that the fume extraction. chiller and compressor seem undamaged, though in future I will be running an extension lead to them and not taking power from the back of the LS3050.

I will update next week when I have done the swap out.