Face masks for NHS

Moderators: HPC, Daven

brydonuk

Face masks for NHS

Post by brydonuk »

Hi guys,

Just a quick question if anyone can help.

Is it safe or sensible to cut Acetate overhead projector sheets on a Laser?? No idea if they are made from plastic or even PVC? Anyone know?

Locally people are trying to make face screens for NHS staff to help against teh Covid situation in front line staff.

Any help appreciated.
Daven

Re: Face masks for NHS

Post by Daven »

Not advisable, it does not cut well and I would think it is quicker to cut by hand. Better to cut a template to use and cut with a knife.

The masks need to be approved so please see my other thread - make sure you are making masks that can be used, approved or at least agreed to by a professional and made of material that is suitable.
The comfort of the fit as well as the manufacturing/handling process needs to be done in a way that does not cause any issues so I am advising people to join in with groups who have the backing of NHS or medical suppliers to save wasting material or resources.

Thanks
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
brydonuk

Post by brydonuk »

Cheers for the info. These are being asked for by local groups here, and local schools are using similar to make them. Thought i should check before I volunteered my services to them.

COuldn't open your links as it required membership first. No worries.
izzysdaddy

Post by izzysdaddy »

Afternoon brydonuk

I spoke to Chris Jacobs (owner of HPC Laser) a few years back at the Sign & Digital Show. He said you could laser cut clear PETG sheet / panel up to 3mm thick. I use Perspex Distribution & I know they stock 0.75mm (thinnest) clear PETG that might be suitable for the visors. I think you are based not too far from me. Private message me if you need more details.

Stuart
owner of a LS1290