Adobe Illustrator to Lasercut 5.3

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Ryanjmurphy

Adobe Illustrator to Lasercut 5.3

Post by Ryanjmurphy »

Evening All,

Just purchased a LS3060. I'm very new to laser cutters.

I am familiar with photoshop and Adobe Illustrator, however I am REALLY struggling to get anything to import properly in to Lasercut 5.3.

I have Corel Draw also. Can anyone help me out, what software should I be using and what export settings?

I am trying to use the test cut pattern on this website, but it will not import correctly from any of the programs:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2243854

Thanks in advanced.

Ryan
Daven

Re: Adobe Illustrator to Lasercut 5.3

Post by Daven »

You need to export/save as DXF and then import that into Lasercut.

You can interface CorelDraw but I don't use it so not sure how or what formats I'm afraid.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Ryanjmurphy

Post by Ryanjmurphy »

Daven wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:59 am You need to export/save as DXF and then import that into Lasercut.

You can interface CorelDraw but I don't use it so not sure how or what formats I'm afraid.

Best
Dave
Thanks Dave. I think it may be the file that I'm trying to convert.

What is the recommended editing software to use other than AI and Corel?
Daven

Post by Daven »

For DXF cad files I use BricsCad but there are some free programs available like DoubleCad or DesignSpark Mechanical. I used to use AutoCad but the cost is greater than the need ;)

Best
Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Daven

Post by Daven »

PS the template file is a bit over the top to start of with to be honest - it has a mixture of engraving and cutting with different setting which all need to be on different layers. Start of with something simple - if just cutting I use that same Idea of the squares and circles each set on different layer with incremental speeds (3mm ply set at say 65% power and speed starting at 18mm's, next set 20mm/s and so on).

Best
Dave
Ryanjmurphy

Post by Ryanjmurphy »

Daven wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:15 am PS the template file is a bit over the top to start of with to be honest - it has a mixture of engraving and cutting with different setting which all need to be on different layers. Start of with something simple - if just cutting I use that same Idea of the squares and circles each set on different layer with incremental speeds (3mm ply set at say 65% power and speed starting at 18mm's, next set 20mm/s and so on).

Best
Dave
Thanks Dave. I'll give it a go!
Rog

Post by Rog »

Another decent free CAD program is Draftsight.
My wife also uses inkscape (also free) which is more of a design suite (like illustrator).

If you use draftsight, just make sure you close the drawing when wanting to import to lasercut or else it won't open.
tilltots

Post by tilltots »

We do this and find it easiest to open the .ai file in Inkscape, ungroup all of the items and ensure all objects are converted to paths then save a copy as a .dxf. Inkscape cannot export to a .dxf on a mac correctly though. I find Inkscape easier to use than a CAD program as it mimics a lot of the functions in Illustrator.
LS3060 with a 60W upgrade