Circle / Squares not cutting true

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Daven

Re: Circle / Squares not cutting true

Post by Daven »

:-) This thread reminds me of a joke -

A software engineer, a hardware engineer and a department manager were on their way to a meeting. They were driving down a steep mountain road when suddenly the brakes on their car failed. The car careened almost out of control down the road, bouncing off the crash barriers, until it miraculously ground to a halt scraping along the mountainside.

The car's occupants, shaken but unhurt, now had a problem: they were stuck halfway down a mountain in a car with no brakes. What were they to do?

"I know," said the department manager, "Let's have a meeting, propose a Vision, formulate a Mission Statement, define some Goals and by a process of Continuous Improvement find a solution to the Critical Problems, and we can be on our way."

"No, no," said the hardware engineer, "That will take far too long, and besides, that method has never worked before. I've got my Swiss Army knife with me, and in no time at all I can strip down the car's braking system, isolate the fault, fix it and we can be on our way."

"Well," said the software engineer, "Before we do anything, I think we should push the car back up the road and see if it happens again."

Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Lightnin

Post by Lightnin »

ah .. two belts one axis .. I wasn't thinking about that bit !
yes, if one jumps it will put it out of square.
smilerpete

Post by smilerpete »

The LS6090 does have a single rod at the back with 2 belts, it does not seem to cut a straight line like the H spooky hence the square being out of true, so which belt could have skipped a tooth I don't know. Something else I have noticed is that all the mirrors seem to be lined up correctly and when firing a dot, each one is in line except when fired in the top left hand corner where the dot is slightly above the other about 1-2mm.
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Yup belt skip, usually caused by the head hitting something that has tipped while it's being cut

Likely 1 tooth...if the machine is still under warranty (it's not a warranty job as far as I know as it's mechanical damage) I would check with Chris or HPC in general before adjusting anything, you can make a bad situation a lot worse by getting belt tension or tooth alignment wrong

cheers

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk