hi from szaxe

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Daven

Re: hi from szaxe

Post by Daven »

szaxe wrote:
I'm just trying to work out if I could get away without an indoor extraction system while I am only using the laser sporadically and for short periods, as if I need to increase production times it will be for a business so will definitely relocate to a light industrial unit?

Any thoughts on light, sporadic use and smell for neighbours? from anyone would be helpful :)
My first machine was a 3020 with no extraction and used in the house - smoke from cutting 3mm ply or MDF soon fills the room, if you look back to my early posts you will see I used a vacuum cleaner which soon clogged up with the tar like deposit you get so I had to buy a new filter for it and explain to my wife what I had done :oops: .

I then made an extractor using a normal bathroom fan and pushed it out the window - lucky we did not have any problems with neighbours but had their window been any closer I would have to re-think it. The amount of smoke is surprising the amount of damage on your lungs is not going to be good unless you either have a bofa or extract outside even for small runs.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
szaxe

Post by szaxe »

PhillyDee wrote:I ran a 3020 in my upstairs flat with the hose poking out tge window. Smoke and sme was tge biggest issue.
Thanks PhillyDee, how bad/far did the smell/smoke travel before dissipating ? did you get many, or any complaints?

Oh you added to your post after I answered :)
szaxe

Post by szaxe »

Daven wrote:
The amount of smoke is surprising the amount of damage on your lungs is not going to be good unless you either have a bofa or extract outside even for small runs.

Best
Dave
Thanks Dave :)

Confused now :lol: it seems phillydee answered then took it down and yours was similar :)

Yeah I might try using it hanging out the window, being winter the neighbors all have their windows shut, and I'll check before starting work .... I f I get complaints I will probably get a workshop a little sooner than I wanted, but hey ho :)
Daven

Post by Daven »

:lol: Phil had the same machine around the same time ;)
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
szaxe

Post by szaxe »

Just a thought .... I live on the ground floor of 8 flats 4 ground floor flats and 4 1st floor flats ... other than that there is nothing remotely near at the back of the flats several fields and a hall is the closest that is rarely used ... my lounge is at the back. In fact the bungalows opposite my flat at the front are a good distance away as there are large very large gardens at the front on both sides of the road.

to the sides of our block of flats there is nothing for a very good distance

I have a back garden that is at least 12-15 meters long, would that be far enough away to stop the smell from annoying my neighbors? and would it be difficult/doable to run a pipe that distance from my window ?

Would that give the fumes time to dissipate before coming back towards our flats?
Last edited by szaxe on Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
szaxe

Post by szaxe »

Daven wrote::lol: Phil had the same machine around the same time ;)
:D
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

szaxe wrote:Just a thought .... I live on the ground floor of 8 flats 4 ground floor flats and 4 1st floor flats ... other than that there is nothing remotely near at the back of the flats several fields and a hall is the closest that is rarely used ... my lounge is at the back. In fact the bungalows opposite my flat at the front are a good distance away as there are large very large gardens at the front on both sides of the road.
I'd bet the neighbours won't want to smell acrylic or MDF if they open their windows, acrylic stinks something aweful. They may not open them very often...but if they do
to the sides of our block of flats there is nothing for a very good distance
Define good distance?
I have a back garden that is at least 12-15 meters long, would that be far enough away to stop the smell from annoying my neighbors? and would it be difficult/doable to run a pipe that distance from my window ?
Probably not, venting to atmosphere in a built up area, in particular a block of flats probably isn't going to end well.
Would that give the fumes time to dissipate before coming back towards our flats?
It only has to be a problem once...I'd pretty much bet the local fire officer, your insurance company, your neighbours and any passing people will have quite a short fuse when it comes to the god aweful smell of acrylic or suchlike.

No short way round this, BOFA or risk the problems from HSE / Enviromental Health / Local Authority / etc etc A flat isn't the place to have lasers poking smoke out of let alone any vibration or noise / smell. Remember having a laser as a hobby item for fun is a whole lot different to having one used for commercial purpose (including part time R&D)
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

szaxe wrote:
Yeah I might try using it hanging out the window, being winter the neighbors all have their windows shut, and I'll check before starting work .... I f I get complaints I will probably get a workshop a little sooner than I wanted, but hey ho :)
Or you may find yourself with expensive fines that you certainly don't want ;)
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
szaxe

Post by szaxe »

Spooky wrote:
szaxe wrote:
Or you may find yourself with expensive fines that you certainly don't want ;)
True, but did you read my last post above?

It appears a good majority of users on all the forums I have read use a quiet inline extractor, so just wondering about the distance necessary to dissipate the fumes?
Lightnin

Post by Lightnin »

szaxe wrote:
Spooky wrote:
szaxe wrote:
just wondering about the distance necessary to dissipate the fumes?
As said near the start .. you would be surprised how much fumes these put out.
someone at the end of the street would smell it and wonder what it is !
Especially Acrylic ! .. MDF could be a bonfire or some thing, but if it's every day people will start noticing.

Where are you based ?
Seeing one in action would be usefull