Windows 8.1

Moderators: HPC, Daven

avalonman

Windows 8.1

Post by avalonman »

Hi all

I have just had to purchase a new pc due to the premature death of my old one. The new machine runs a 64 bit windows 8.1 operating system with 10 gigs of ram and 3 terabits Hdd, and with all that it is now refusing to work with my laserscript software.

I have done as before and told the program to run in compatibility mode which at least gets it started and I am able to manipulate the work but for some reason it will not allow me to download what im working on to laser.

Has anyone else suffered with this and if so is their a solution?

thanks

:roll:
http://www.avalonesoterics.co.uk - Making fire wood with ease.
I own a 6840 purchased april 2011, working from acer 8935g laptop with win8 pro and lasercut 5.3 software
software autocad, adobe, corel, draftcad all legal
PhillyDee

Re: Windows 8.1

Post by PhillyDee »

Have you tried using different usb ports? Use a usb 2 instead of a usb3, or front panel instead of rear or vice versa.

personally, i have a stock of older tech now. Just picked up a dell p4 2.8 (£20!) which has legacy ports for the router and runs winxp. I now have another 2 laptops which are more modern, but battered to hell as backups for the 2 lasers. I do all my work on the main pc, then dropbox the file to the appropriate pc.

You did install the program with full admin? Try turning the uac etc off as much as possible to see if that might be the issue.
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

An ex LS3020 user now playing with an LS6840PRO (60W) and an LS1290PRO (80W)
avalonman

Post by avalonman »

thanks for the reply

I also have 2 net books 1 is xp and the other is win 7 which to work fine for that.

I am just fact finding so that i can eventually cut out transferring from my new beast to the old ones, its just inconvenient that's all

I know its not a usb3 or even a windows 8 problem, it only seems to show up with the new 8.1 upgrade.
I own a 6840 purchased april 2011, working from acer 8935g laptop with win8 pro and lasercut 5.3 software
llamalasers

Post by llamalasers »

Just a note to say, I got sent the Windows 7 64bit drivers today from HPC and they work perfectly on Windows 8.1 64bit no problems so far.
60W LS6840 & CW4000
started out with LS3040
avalonman

Post by avalonman »

I just thought that you should know that when I called Hpc about this problem they told me it might be the printer drivers but they had not had time to test yet.

I got straight onto it and sorted it, I then called Cris at Hpc and informed him.

Im glad it all works now but i would like a more up to date interface to work with, I wonder who the programmer is/
tilltots

Post by tilltots »

Just as a knowledge resource in case anyone googling ends up here.

Windows 8.1 power management settings power down the usb ports if unused when set to a balanced or economical power setting.

Some laptops will also have manufacturer software (My Asus machine for instance has Power4gear installed) which doesn't wake the usb hub after hibernation or suspend.

These things upset the Lasercut dongle forcing you to restart the software or even the laptop itself.

Settings usually found in Power management in the control panel.
LS3060 with a 60W upgrade