Clock materials

Moderators: HPC, Daven

khumbu5

Clock materials

Post by khumbu5 »

Hi,
Hope someone has some experience here or can point me in the right direction. I have some plans for a mechanical clock I want to cut out and assemble. The prototype will use laser ply just to prove concept but wanted some ideas as to what to make the finished piece with...
The requirements will be clean cut lines with good tolerances and something that will wear quite well. Obviously not being brass the latter will have its limitations but it doesn't have to last forever, just look good and be fairly accurate!

Thanks in advance....
Daven

Re: Clock materials

Post by Daven »

Hi, have a look at Brian Laws website here - I keep meaning to buy one of his plans but just don't get the time ;)

Best

Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
avalonman

Post by avalonman »

Personally I would choose beech

It looks nice and is hard wearing, you would find this wood all around the house as its got a good tensile strength, that makes it good for chopping boards wooden spoons etc. :lol:
http://www.avalonesoterics.co.uk - Making fire wood with ease.
I own a 6840 purchased april 2011, working from acer 8935g laptop with win8 pro and lasercut 5.3 software
software autocad, adobe, corel, draftcad all legal
khumbu5

Post by khumbu5 »

Thanks for that, have been looking at Brian Law's stuff for quite some time, definitely seems to be the more concise and detailed plan man around. That will be my first stop after Loughborough Universities free mechanical time plans!
khumbu5

Post by khumbu5 »

Thanks Avalonman, Beech will be my starting point then, reasonably cheap too!
avalonman

Post by avalonman »

Just letting you know that ive bought some plans from the clock man(wwodenclocks).

They are very good.

Guess what im doing in the morning
I own a 6840 purchased april 2011, working from acer 8935g laptop with win8 pro and lasercut 5.3 software
PhillyDee

Post by PhillyDee »

avalonman wrote:Just letting you know that ive bought some plans from the clock man(wwodenclocks).

They are very good.

Guess what im doing in the morning
Eating breakfast? :lol:
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

An ex LS3020 user now playing with an LS6840PRO (60W) and an LS1290PRO (80W)
khumbu5

Post by khumbu5 »

Which plans did you buy Avalonman? Will be buying number 9 later on today with 6 and 10 for $5...

Would be interested to hear your feedback on the clock you make...

Ta
avalonman

Post by avalonman »

I purchased the 6 9 10 special but due to an extremely large order Im not able to use the laser for my stuff for the next 3 weeks, but once I do get time ill let you know and even post pics
khumbu5

Post by khumbu5 »

Ordered the same clocks on friday. They come in a DXF format which isn't converting onto the Lasercut 5.3 software cleanly. Do you happen to know of an easy fix?