No experience of lasers, how do I start?

Moderators: HPC, Daven

cemc

No experience of lasers, how do I start?

Post by cemc »

I'm a scale miniaturist (1:48 scale dollhouse mostly) and I'm really wanting to get into producing my own miniatures having seen some really great kits produced by miniatures suppliers using lasercutters. I'm OK with computers, don't know quite enough about corel draw, but thats mostly laziness (not sat down and worked out how to do what I want it to do just yet). I do have a friend who designs on corel for laser cutting, so can get advice on design from her. I've never seen a lasercutter in operation, and have no idea what I'm going to need to learn or know in order to use one effectively. To complicate things, I also live on one of the small scottish islands, so I can't just get in a car and go see one in operation (though I can get down to Yorkshire once a year or so). This location also makes it a little difficult or expensive sometimes to get supplies. I think I kind of understand in principle how the laser machine follows lines and cuts them out (or engraves) but thats about it.

So where do I start? How much do I need to know and understand about the laser process? What technical skills do I need to do the basic maintenance, etc? What consumables do these machines need (other than the material to be cut, which I know I can access OK), and are any of them considered hazardous in terms of transporting them?

I'd probably just be wanting one of the smaller machines - only needs to cut out maximum A4 size, and probably no thicker than 3 mm (though I probably could make use of cutting capability up to 6 mm thick ply or mdf, and/or a slightly bigger size).

So, is there anyone out there who could give this 50 something woman a bit of advice, reassurance, and pointers on where to get the skill or information I might need to get started?
Spooky

Re: No experience of lasers, how do I start?

Post by Spooky »

Hiya :)

Ok I'll try and help a bit :)

1: Minatures can easily be produced using a laser, 3mm birch ply is the best and easiest material to use for dolls house bits.

2:A laser will simply copy a drawn line or lines, a bit like going round an outline with a stanley or craft knife.

3: To work you need to provide your laser with an outline to copy, there are a huge number of ways of getting your initial plan or drawing.
You can:
Draw it yourself,
Modify something you find on the net,
Buy ready completed laser plans.

4: Technical skills: not really, pretty much if you are computer savvy enough to work out how to register on a forum (you have done that by posting here so thats a given :)) then you have more than enough skill to work a small laser cutter.

5: Maintenance: There is very little really other than keeping the machine clean and free of dust and general rubbish (offcuts etc),yes things do wear out, laser tubes do degrade and water gets dirty.
Now switching out a laser tube sounds difficult but with a call from one of the forum users or Chris & Charli from HPC it's really no huge terror to worry about. They last around 1500 hours of cutting time (and thats a hell of a lot) and even longer when used at lower powers on thin material like 3mm plywood.
Water changes are very similar to changing the radiator water on a car, drain out the old and refill, get rid of any bubbles and your away.Nothing in a laser cutter is considered a hazard for postal purposes.Yes Laser radiation is dangerous but the machines all have interlocks to stop you sticking your hand in it should the urge take you :)

6: General: A lot of the problems with technical items like laser cutters come from 2 bit companies out to make a buck then vanish BUT I have to say the after sales from Chris and Charlotte is FANTASTIC, I've been on the phone to Chris at 8pm in the evening and he's always ready to help or offer advice. The main thing to look for with a laser is after sales, prices all tend to float around the same levels and you can import one yourself (DON'T they usually arrive with a broken tube after being used as a football by the courier) yes you could save £100 or so going elsewhere but when you get stuck that £100 will seem like nothing if you have a dead laser and nobody to call.

Hope that helps a little..

If you do have any questions feel free to ask and I'll help where I can.

best wishes

Dave

NOTE: I have no connection either commercial or private with HPC Laser or it's staff other than as a very happy customer.

7: The forums, there is usually somebody here to help, if Chris isn't reading then one of us will be (we are all just customers like you) and the answer you need will likely only be a few minutes away :)
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
cemc

Post by cemc »

Thanks Spooky, thats really reassuring.

Guess its just a matter of deciding if the smallest machine (LS3020 - A4 size, 0-4 mm) is going to be enough long term for me or if I nearly treble the budget and go for the LS3040. And then getting down to serious designing.
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

To be honest go for the biggest the budget will stand, you can rest assured if you get an A4 laser (297 x 210) then the first thing you want to cut or engrave will be 325 x 210.
It's the nature of any machine tool :) (been there, done that)

I'll stick up some pictures later of the furniture I do to show what a laser can do :)

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
silverstreamdesigns

Post by silverstreamdesigns »

I agree with Dave/Spooky (why spooky? Are You really that scary? :shock: )!

I was originally going to go for the A$ size - but decided the A3 was better in terms of cutting and size capacity!

Although you may think you only want to cut small items I reckon once you realise the potential of these machines you'll start to get more ambitious!
Think of all the complicated window frames and doors etc. you'll be able to make once you get started. And i can say this with some experience because those are EXACTLY some of the items I've done!

One factor you SHOULD consider is where you are going to site the machine. The A3 Unit can jsut about be manhandled safely by one person - Chris makes it look easy but he's just showing off!

I had to get my unit up 2 flights of stairs and haul it through a (fortunately decent sized) Floor Opening - which took 2 of us to do it safely and carefully (bones heal - but repairs to machinery cost)!
Once in place on a sturdy support it's no problem -BUT, you WILL need to site your Computer adjacent to it!

One other thing is that - if you leave the machine with water permanently in the glass tube you'd best not let it freeze - which up in your neck of the woods might be likely given the previous winter we've had!
I let mine drain out at the end of every session - water pumps are cheap and easy to replace if/when necessary!

I can endorse Dave's recommendations - see how many other dealers set up common-help forums like this one!

Happy cutting/engraving!

:D
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

A quick idea of what a 1/48th scale bed and table plan would look like (saved as PDF for ease).

This should give you an idea of how much space you need for simple furniture :)

best wishes

Dave
Attachments
demofurniture.zip
Bed & Table Demo
(20.59 KiB) Downloaded 435 times
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
cemc

Post by cemc »

Thanks for all the great answers. I definitely want one, and will get one. Right now I am really working hard to get to grips with corel draw. I want to have at least a couple of patterns ready to go, and its taking me quite a while to figure it all out. Not so hard just drawing stuff now, but to get properly measured drawings is a bit of a nightmare. Am having international email lessons from a friend in another country at the moment, which is helping no end.
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Remember for cutting, your pictures / plans have to be Vector format and not raster :)

best wishes

Dave
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk