Laser Tube Safety

Moderators: HPC, Daven

glenboy

Laser Tube Safety

Post by glenboy »

Hi All,

Is it dangerous to have the laser tube visible during operation?

Seen a few videos of home made laser cutters and the tube is positioned at the back of the machine but is not covered like the LS machines. I assume radiation is only emitted from the business end and viewing the side of a tube is not dangerous. Is the compartment on the LS machine primarily to protect the tube from soot/debris and to keep fingers away from the power cables while the tube is on?

There are quite a few home made laser projects out there - I'm sure they know what they are doing :? !
tweakie

Re: Laser Tube Safety

Post by tweakie »

I think that is a good point Glenboy.

Although an arc is struck between the electrodes and the plasma has a blue-ish colouring I have not been able to activate photo-fluorescent paper (which reacts to UV) and the water jacket will certainly dissipate any tangential stray IR so it is probably only the high voltage and possible reflections from the business end of the tube which would be dangerous.
As well as the obvious electric shock hazard, many high voltage electronic devices also emit copious amounts of x-rays so even the slightest risk is one too many.

I certainly would not want operate a laser tube unless it was enclosed and I would not advise anyone else to do so either.

Tweakie.
endcan

Re: Laser Tube Safety

Post by endcan »

Hi The laser and its laser beams are emitted as class 4 ... which is not good....laser safety glasses at least
If its all enclosed in metal and acrylic/plastics which absorb its class 1- the same as your dvd player so safe .... no holes louvered vents etc
Thanks
Personalised bike bitz,Metal marking,adhesive decals