Cutting Acrylic and Laser ply - width of cutting beam

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Martinocyabe

Cutting Acrylic and Laser ply - width of cutting beam

Post by Martinocyabe »

Hi, I am using a LS 3060 with 60w tube.

I am cutting 3mm Acrylic - which varies in width from 2.8 mm to 3.2mm,
I want to "cut" slots and tabs that fit together with a "friction fit".
has anyone got an offset measurement that allows for the width of the beam? in effect the kerf measurement.

regards
Martin
Daven

Re: Cutting Acrylic and Laser ply - width of cutting beam

Post by Daven »

3.3mm is a loose fit normally - depends on the brand - Perspex and Amari are normally better than other makes. Due to the difference friction fit can be hard unless you fettle the slot with a file

0.25 offset will give .5mm

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Martinocyabe

Post by Martinocyabe »

Hi Dave,
Many Thanks for the Reply.

I tend to use cast "Perspex" Acrylic from ICI.

I am used to Rotary engravers with a "tool offset", which you set in the tool properties - then either apply an "internal cut"," external cut" or "cut on the line".

I was looking for a width of the laser beam, so I can get tight fits without cracking the corners. I know that CO2 lasers focuses to a point. and I have experimented with focusing below the material surface, so the narrowest part of the beam is on the central axis of the Acrylic.
Currently I am trying an offset of 0.125 mm. But I am still getting variable results on Acrylic

Martin
Daven

Post by Daven »

LaserScript 'Offset curve' does the same but only on the objects you select - it will change the new offset objects to a new colour so you can turn off the new colour and delete the old and switch the new colour back on.

Beam diameter can depend on many factors and the beam is a cone shape so the walls would have a slight taper so you may find turning the slot over helps (depending on the design) - on acrylic I would go for 0.25mm beam diameter. The thicker the material the larger the exit hole. Personally I don't use friction fit as it is too time consuming and not easily repeatable.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Martinocyabe

Post by Martinocyabe »

Hi
Thank you,
Martin