Power settings.

Moderators: HPC, Daven

gordonpb

Power settings.

Post by gordonpb »

Hi lovely people.
I have been doing trials with 3mm acrylic sheet, and have found that I only need 35% power to cut nicely and that still cuts through the plastic matrix I use underneath it, any more and I get ragged edge underneath. Can this be correct? Also, can you tell me why the laser doesn't fire under 23% power?
Any help would as always be appreciated.
Many thanks,
Gordon
p.s. the tube is 60w.
Daven

Re: Power settings.

Post by Daven »

What speed?

On mine 20s at 60% work but I raise the material off the bed using magnets(also handy to hold plywood flat).

My basic understanding is the tube works by the gas being excited by a large DC current - if there is not enough power or gas the higher the minimum percent the tube will fire and likewise the power at the high end will be lower. It could also be a dirty output mirror (you can clean but it can't be removed so great care has to be taken cleaning them). Over time the tube degrades as well so you could be seeing the start of a dying tube if it is getting on!

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
gordonpb

Post by gordonpb »

Hi,
Many thanks for the reply. To raise it off the bed, I use a plastic honeycomb that I found on line that is used for aquariums. It seems to work well, and it comes at the same size as the laser bed. The sooner I get the laser cut right, the longer it will last and not be cut right through.
Thanks again,
Gordon.
Daven

Post by Daven »

Make sure it is laserable - some plastics give off nasty fumes - PVC for example!

Personally I would advise against it - if nothing else it adds to the fire risk as plastics can start of with a very small area burning and spread quite quick (I know this to my own cost!).

Best
Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
brydonuk

Post by brydonuk »

Might be a really obvious question, but why do you use magnets? and not say blocks of wood etc?

Daven wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:34 am What speed?

On mine 20s at 60% work but I raise the material off the bed using magnets(also handy to hold plywood flat).

My basic understanding is the tube works by the gas being excited by a large DC current - if there is not enough power or gas the higher the minimum percent the tube will fire and likewise the power at the high end will be lower. It could also be a dirty output mirror (you can clean but it can't be removed so great care has to be taken cleaning them). Over time the tube degrades as well so you could be seeing the start of a dying tube if it is getting on!

Best
Dave
Daven

Post by Daven »

I mostly use a honeycomb bed which the magnets hold to. The ply can then lay on another magnet placed on top in each corner (more if necessary) to hold it flat.

Best
Dave
brydonuk

Post by brydonuk »

Thanks Dave. Makes sense 8-)
Daven

Post by Daven »

No worries ;)
Best
Dave