Using machine with doors open

Moderators: HPC, Daven

tim

Using machine with doors open

Post by tim »

Hello, I am a new user of a 6840 machine. If I want to engrave on the end of a long item by keeping the front door flaps down, what safety measures should I consider taking? HPC recommends wearing appropriate laser safety eyewear at the very least. I just wondered what other users are doing? Should I look at protective clothing or a shield of some sort? Are the glasses that HPC sells good, or should I look elsewhere for safety gear? I would only be doing this occasionally. Thanks, Tim.
Daven

Re: Using machine with doors open

Post by Daven »

Obviously avoid it at all costs - this site can't really make any recommendations due to the risk of beam scatter or even forgetting the door switches have been bypassed (I have done it and ended up running a cut line across the ends of my fingers - luckily I had turned the power down so it was just a mark).

The beam even unfocused can still blind and start fires.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
tim

Post by tim »

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply. I am a little confused as I thought that the machine (6840) was designed to be operated in this way so I wasn’t expecting to have to bypass any switches. The machine spec says: “Pass through panels front and rear allow larger items to be cut and engraved”. Being new to laser machines, I’m just trying to ensure best practice & safety before I start using it more regularly. Tim.
Daven

Post by Daven »

Sorry - yes the pass through panels are fine, I thought you meant the lid as well ;)

Was a bit distracted watching mirror acrylic flame up a bit when reading :lol:

Just make sure no one will put hands in and don't stand right up close just in case of beam scatter.

Best
Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
tim

Post by tim »

Great, so just a pair of laser safety specs should be adequate as long as I stand back a few feet? I will be mostly engraving wood - is there less chance of beam scatter, or does the choice of material make no difference? Seeing as the machine cabinet has panel gaps and louvre vents, I assume the laser radiation is broken up in some way by bouncing around the enclosure and can’t escape through small gaps? In which case, I could build a custom flap around where my object exits the machine, if this would improve safety significantly? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I’m trying to understand how serious the hidden dangers are so I can make full use of the machine without constantly worrying about safety aspects!
Daven

Post by Daven »

Knowing HPC if there was any danger they would change the design or modify.

The beam will really only reflect off metals.

My old lid perspex had small 'hits' - most likely coming off the honeycomb bed. Yes the beam can scatter but only in straight lines and more likely in an upward direction so the chances of it coming at you at a high angle is very low I would say. The hit is also not going to be full power unless the mirrors are badly aligned/damaged. Your eyes would be more at risk hence the use of goggles - make sure they are the right ones for the laser!

Don't worry too much ;)

Best
Dave