LS3020 failure

Moderators: HPC, Daven

unravelled

LS3020 failure

Post by unravelled »

After a few years of light use, my LS3020 has failed.
The problem appeared to start with intermittent connectivity with the pc. A replacement usb socket sorted things out for a while, but I found the cable too easy to knock, so that didn't last long. A second replacement socket helped some, but proved unreliable.
Just to make sure I had the right diagnosis of an usb problem these were the (inconsistent) symptoms. When trying to cut or engrave , a communications error popped up on screen. Oddly the "go to x,y" button on screen worked, and the head could sometimes be moved with the on screen arrows, but the cut would fail.
A different behaviour showed towards the end. On clicking on the start button on screen, the head would move to the start of cut position, but no further, although I think the laser fired briefly. The final failure was smoke from one of the stepper driver (?) chips. By that time I had removed and replaced the board so mant times I may have swapped the two identical plugs on reassembly.

So are the symptoms consistent with a failed circuit board, or something more serious. Additionally if it is the circuit board, is it a straightforward diy replacement, assuming replacements are available.

Thanks

Dave
Daven

Re: LS3020 failure

Post by Daven »

Hi Dave,

I would speak to HPC - if anyone has spares it would be them!

It does sound like electronics issue but wonder if it was the motor going - Once the software has downloaded the plans I don't think the laser communicates with the USB until the job has finished. I don't know if the motor lost contact with the controller whether that would give that message.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
unravelled

Post by unravelled »

OK, I thought it might be worth asking in case I had missed anything I ought to mention. I'll call HPC for advice.

Thanks

Dave
unravelled

Post by unravelled »

A delayed followup to this. I bought a replcement motherboard, and now have a different issue. When the machine is turned on, there is a pause and the head moves left until it hits the stops, but the motor keeps on running. There is no Y axis movement. Any ideas before I bother technical support again?

Thanks

Dave
Daven

Post by Daven »

If it is a Lasercut version it sounds like you need to download the config file to the new board.

Best
Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
unravelled

Post by unravelled »

Daven wrote:If it is a Lasercut version it sounds like you need to download the config file to the new board.

Best
Dave

Thanks, it's a Newlydraw version. I did wonder whether the SD card went with the board or machine, but as the replacement board came with it already fitted I have not swapped them. Or is the SD card part of the dongle system, in which case it needs swapping.

Chers

Dave
Daven

Post by Daven »

I honestly don't know - it is so long since I had a 3020 I can't remember.
From memory you can adjust the location of the head in the software. Also maybe worth making sure you have the motors connected correctly and not swapped round.
Best
Dave