Double Sided woes! Some Advice needed

Moderators: HPC, Daven

GranttEnnis

Double Sided woes! Some Advice needed

Post by GranttEnnis »

Hey guys.

I'm trying to engrave double-sided acrylic tokens. The method I use is sound; it's lining up correctly and it looks great. However, whichever side ends up underneath when the tokens get cut gets scored and gunked up with the residue left behind after the first run. Even after clean up (IPA and Acetone rubbing) the residue remains, stubborn and ruining the work.

I'm a little brain-dead as to how to figure this one out. Anyone have any suggestions? I use a 6040 and have done so for about a year.

Grantt
Lightnin

Re: Double Sided woes! Some Advice needed

Post by Lightnin »

Have you tried masking.

some people cleaning with chemicals find it causes tiny cracking/crazing further down the time line
Pedro_Hernandez

Re: Double Sided woes! Some Advice needed

Post by Pedro_Hernandez »

You could always cut a jig , allowing adequate distance between objects, so engraves then the cut outs drop down into a clear space, ensure that it is open front to back to allow the vaporised acrylic to extract out. If you have a tray/bit of card under just pull it out and remove cuts outs .Clean up with IPA is only a problem on extruded acrylics.

For a double sided engrave after the top engrave has done turn sheet upside down, rotate artwork as required so engraves are orientated correctly, have the cut line on on last , they will drop out and have minimal clean up. If not mask the first engraved side with application tape.

Regards

Pedro
HPC1290 User HPC 3020 Owner