adobe illustrator - help please

Moderators: HPC, Daven

HPCLaser

adobe illustrator - help please

Post by HPCLaser »

We have a client who only uses adobe illustrator.

He saves the file as a DXF, but when importing into the lasercut software the image is not correct.

Anyone have any experience with Adobe, this is something we just don't use to produce DXF files?

Cheers

Charlotte
dvdlock

Re: adobe illustrator - help please

Post by dvdlock »

Hi Chris,

I generally use CorelDraw V12. However, I save all my work as .ai V7 files which import to LaserCut without issue. I have found that .dxf files a little unreliable in terms of the way Lasercut Interprets them.

I don't know what version of Illustrator your client uses but can he try saving in .ai V7

Regards

Dave.
Syman

Post by Syman »

I have the opposite problem Illustrator cs3 file with no compression seem to work most of the time, but very often it crashes the laser software. I think the main problem is the laser software be is not the best.
DXF files saved as r13 seem to work all the time.
Let’s hope an update will be out soon to fix all the bugs.
HPCLaser

Post by HPCLaser »

Thanks Dave/Syman.
I will contact leetro the crashing will be due to a pixillated file try unite lines function in tools this joins the dots and makes the file smaller.
Thanks Chris ;)
Syman

Post by Syman »

It crashes the computer before the file is loaded. As soon as you select the file it crashes. I think the main problem is buggy laser software. I dont understand what you mean by pixilated? The file is a vector graphic. I have had a drawing work that must have had a 100 un-joined points.
dvdlock

Post by dvdlock »

Syman wrote:It crashes the computer before the file is loaded. As soon as you select the file it crashes. I think the main problem is buggy laser software. I dont understand what you mean by pixilated? The file is a vector graphic. I have had a drawing work that must have had a 100 un-joined points.

As I recall LaserCut will import .ai files up to V7.

If you are using CS3 it is is likely that LaserCut can't interpret all elements of the file causing it to crash. Try saving in a legacy format. I think CS3 can backward save to V10 but this may still be too high.
Syman

Post by Syman »

I have solved the problem now. Illustraror cs3 works fine as long as you save with no compretion or ICC.
bob

Post by bob »

Hi Syman,
Please can you run through how you export the file to lasercut for me.
I would like to take mac files etc and export.
Thanks Bob
:?:
Syman

Post by Syman »

Hi

You can save file in two way from illustrator. 1. Save as cs3 with no compretion and no ICC. You drawing must also be correct. Make sure all you have in any layer is paths. Always check for grouped objects by going to objects > ungroup. Also release any compound paths by going to object > compond path > release.

way 2. Make sure your drawing as is above. Go to file > export then export as a DXF make sure you have r13 checked.

Both should work if they dont its probably your drawing thats wrong.

Hope that helps
bob

Post by bob »

Thanks Syman,
Working a treat.
What are you cutting with the machine ?
Is it art based?
Bob