House insurance

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Kirsty

House insurance

Post by Kirsty » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:47 pm

Hello anyone that reads this!
I was just wondering who people use for house insurance when you have a laser! Especially if you're also trying to run/do a small craft business.
I'm not necessarily looking for recommendations, but so many just don't seem to even quote!!
Thank you for any and all advice :)

Daven

Re: House insurance

Post by Daven » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:54 am

I have not found an insurance company who will cover the lasers for sensible money either in or out of the house, hobby or professional small company. Mine are not in the house so the risk is contained to the workshop I use. Most companies do not really understand them and the only thing they can compare with are industrial lasers which you can understand.

Last year I was stupid and left a machine running on a job that was low risk (it should have just been engraving acrylic) except I had left a cut line on the plan. When it did the cut line it caught fire - it starts off really small and slow but because I was not there it had time to get big! We caught it just in time to save to workshop (apart from re-decorating) but not in time to save the machine!

Luckily I had the money in the company reserves to pay for it - would the insurance have still paid out? I doubt it as I had left it!

Personally I would not bother - in theory you should tell your home insurance what you are doing. In practice I can't see how it can be covered other than for theft but hey would no doubt be concerned about the fire risk and the premiums increase to silly numbers. As soon as you can put some profit aside for such events.

When I did use mine in the house for a short time I would never leave them - you shouldn't anyway but at home it is not always as easy!

Have a good fire extinguisher - I have used two over the years! I also have a small spray bottle of water - only for very small fires that won't blow out (or wood that is smoldering) and obviously do not use other than a quick spray on the material.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC

Kirsty

Post by Kirsty » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:16 pm

Thank you Dave, that's helpful, but also a bit worrying. I'm worried that if it did start a fire I wouldn't be covered if I hadn't told them!
So frustrating.
But thank you again for your comments.
Kirsty

brydonuk

Post by brydonuk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:33 am

Hi Kirsty, did you find out anymore info about Insurance? This is all a bit worrying tbh and as a possible purchaser may make me change my mnd if Insurance is going to be a problem.

Anyone else with insurance info I would appreciate it. My outbuildings etc are all covered with house insurance at the moment but I am not sure what will happen when or if I buy a new laser machine........................

Daven

Post by Daven » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:55 pm

Have a look at Ian Wallace craft insurance - they may be helpful ;)

I wouldn't let it put you off buying - just common sense - don't leave the machine when it is running ;)

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC

brydonuk

Post by brydonuk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:30 pm

Cheers Dave,
Thats what I said to the wife lol I won't leave it unattended ;)