engraving photo's without photograv

Moderators: HPC, Daven

pau1

engraving photo's without photograv

Post by pau1 »

This is possible in coral draw 12
Firstly open corel Photo-Paint 12 then select New Page set the page size and dpi you require click ok
now goto File-Import and select the photo you neednow click on Image-ColorMode-Greyscale this changes the image (now if required invert the image by selecting Image-Transform-Invert this is needed if envgraving slate or glass).
now click Image-ColorMode-Black And White a pop up box appears in this box there is a drop down box with different options i like Stuki or Jarvis play around with the Intensity you can zoom in and out the image by left clicking the image previw and using the scroll wheel on yor mouse (this is the hardest part).
once you are happy with the pictue save it then re-open in Corel Draw 12 click on File-Save As in the pop up box save the photo as a DXF-Autocad 2000now you can open the photo in lasercut 5.1 by clicking File-Import in the pop up box uncheck read only box then select DXF-Autocad open your picture you can now laser engrave the image.

Hope this is useful it takes time to get good results i used laser ply to practice on
dvdlock

Re: engraving photo's without photograv

Post by dvdlock »

Hi Paul,

Nice write up especially for those that want to engrave a photograph but haven't got Photograv.

I use a similar dithering method with PhotoImpact which is similar to Photopaint.

If you want to save a step, once you have finished dithering the image with Stuki or Jarvis or whatever, Just Save As a .bmp and you can open it straight up in LaserCut.

Regards

Dave.
lasercarver

Post by lasercarver »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your tips.

Can you tell a little about the speed and laser strength which you use. I have used oak with a 30/60 laser (40 watts) and 250ms speed/65% power. I get a nice deep engrave but loose much detail i.e. no longer like a photo- more like a carving.

What do you think?

Thanks,

David

Thanks
angal

Post by angal »

can i do the same with adobe Illustrator CS5 if so let me know what to do please