£50 upgrades to 3020 pro

Moderators: HPC, Daven

bobg

£50 upgrades to 3020 pro

Post by bobg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:44 pm

Hi

Had my 3020 for over a month now - fantastic machine - results far exceeding my expectations. Have made £50 of upgrades and machine now has a digital readout for power, a water temparature gauge and an elapsed time (of laser) meter.

If anyone can tell me how to upload pictures I'll post some with supplier info and how I've done it.

Bob
LS3020 used for hobby - making model railway buildings/signals etc.

Spooky

Re: £50 upgrades to 3020 pro

Post by Spooky » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:58 pm

Hiya Bob,

You need to upload the pictures to your own website, or free hosting service such as fliker,then take the full url of the picture and select "Img" on the buttons when you write a post. Simplt cut and paste the URL into that and it will display the picture for you :)

The url should look something like the following http://hosting.com/images/bob.jpg

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk

bobg

Post by bobg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:39 pm

Thanks Dave I'll try to set up a Flicker account and get some pictures taken.

Bob

Daven

Post by Daven » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:37 pm

Sounds interesting Bob, look forward to see what you have done ;-)

Best

Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC

bobg

Post by bobg » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:13 pm

Here goes with the pictures and links!

This should be a pic of the completed unit showing at left the hours/minutes counter and at right the room and water temps.

Here's a longer view

The hours/minutes meter is linked to the air compressor - I simply cut the mains cable to the comprressor and put an in-line connector. Added the mains to the meter from the input side. I turn the light and comprressor on and off between jobs so it will give a fairly good idea of laser run time.

Meter was from CounterSales in Leeds and cost about £20. Their web site...

http://www.countersales.co.uk/products/ ... eters.html

I suggest you 'phone and ask for David - there are so many types of counter!

Finally my first model - an engine shed - as yet uncompleted. All but the rainwater downpipes are just mounting card.

Looks better in the flesh than on these pretty awful photos. Will get lighting sorted in future.

The laser power counting meter (photo2 is from Rapid Electronics (68-1330) for £17-95 +VAT.

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-C ... kw/68-1330

Hope this all works and is helpful.

Cheers
Bob

(Edited by Spooky for IMG)

bobg

Post by bobg » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:13 pm

OOps - forgot to mention the temperature gauge. This is a £9 greenhouse indoor/outdoor temperature gauge from a garden centre with the 'outdoor' sensor in the water by the water pump.

Bob

Daven

Post by Daven » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:16 pm

Excellent work Bob - thanks for sharing!

Good idea for the panel - I have an old LED fish tank thermometer that flops about the water tank lid which keeps annoying me so must get round to doing similar to you!

Best

Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:51 pm

Looks good, I might steel the water temp air/ temp trick , is your machine in a warm room? ~20 Degrees is tropical at this time of year.

Are the models for fun / train sets?

bobg

Post by bobg » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:58 pm

Hi Mike

Warm - yes - I'm lucky enough to have a 16ft square room in the house as my own. '00' scale DCC computer-controlled (Traincontroller) railway around the room on two levels. Electrics and electronics (if interested see http://www.merg.org.uk/) mainly now done although I'm looking forward to using laser to make more colour light and semaphore signals. I used a milling machine last time for signal arms and cranks and it took ages! Have over 100 buildings to do so very pleased that laser looks to be the tool for the job.

Brickwork is especially pleasing when engraved on white card as the laser power setting determines the darkness of the 'sandstone' effect. Used a photograph of stonework and the 'alternative techniques to Photograv' (see elsewhere in the Forum for how-to-do-it) to achieve the result using Corel Photopaint. Windows in normal 1.7mm thick mounting card (from 'The Range' at £2.99 a sheet so works out at less than 50p an A4 sheet) are brilliant. Photograv may well produce even better stone and brick finishes so it's on my Birthday and Christmas list (hope the wife reads this).

Now tackling problem of corners on small buildings by engraving stonework on one side and then turning sheet over and engraving a deep wide 'groove' on the other to enable card to be bent without cracking. This should avoid that 'cardboard model corners' look where card edges show and have to be painted over. Early experiments look good with a groove 1.5mm wide engraved nearly full depth (90% power, 100 speed and 0.2 gap). Now have problem of accurate alignment when turning card over. Think I can crack this by adding two small 'pins' to the engraving bed and cutting two holes in each sheet of card before I begin any cutting/engraving as these should act as very accurate 'registers' when card turned over.

Aren't lasers FUN!

Cheers
Bob

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:45 pm

That's some fine work Bob :)

best wishes

Dave

ps: hope you don't mind me editing your post, I took the actual picture URL's and replaced them with the [IMG] tag instead of [URL]
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk