can anyone tell me a good way to mask acrylic?

Moderators: HPC, Daven

MarkRobb

can anyone tell me a good way to mask acrylic?

Post by MarkRobb »

Hi, I'm a new owner of an LS03040. Looking good so far in terms of reliability and precision of machine. A quick question for anyone reading. Am doing a lot of fine engraving on acrylic and I infill the engrave with acrylic paint. Normally I can leave the paint to go off slightly and then rub off excess with a J cloth, this leaves a nice finish, however I am trying to use gold acrylic paint for an infill. The problem with this is the acrylic paint actually contains fine metal filings and when I try to remove it from the acrylic it scratches the acrylic. My question is, can I coat the acrylic before the engrave with something which when the engrave is finished I can daub on the gold acrylic and it will only cling to the engraved surface and not the masked surface. Thank you anyone in advance for replying
Daven

Re: can anyone tell me a good way to mask acrylic?

Post by Daven »

Try application tape - it is a thin paper tape available in different widths ;)

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
MarkRobb

Post by MarkRobb »

Thanks Dave, may give that a try, in the meantime will experiment with some kind of cut down windscreen wiper arrangement to see if I can remove nearly all the excess with this
Daven

Post by Daven »

You could try spraying with furniture polish - I didn't find it worked for what I wanted but it may work in your situation.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dynamode

Post by Dynamode »

Hello,

Try Transfer Tape, Clear or Paper backed. Make sure you don't have any Bubbles in it, needs to be applied Flat.

Etch and Cut your Image and fill in with what ever you are using, let it dry and Peel it off.

You can buy it on a roll off of ebay. Various Sizes.

Dynamode.