Recycling Acrylic?

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Minihack

Recycling Acrylic?

Post by Minihack »

Hi,
What do you do for recycling acrylic waste?
I have built up a large amount here ( I would say in excess of a ton) and now need to find someone willing to collect ( preferably ) or within driving distance in West Yorkshire where I can actually take the materials for disposal. At this stage, I am not concerned in actually being paid for my waste and would pay to have it taken away for responsible recycling.
Daven

Re: Recycling Acrylic?

Post by Daven »

The suppler I use was happy to collect small amounts when I had a delivery but things changed and 'management' stopped them doing it! I now pay for a 'not to landfill' waste collection each month!.

You could try Perspex - they do have a set up that collects and recycles but they were more interested in having a contract rather than a one off!

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Minihack

Post by Minihack »

Thanks for the reply. How did you set up the 'not to landfill' collection may I ask? I'd be grateful for any contact that might help....
Dave.
Minihack

Post by Minihack »

I have filled in a contact form for Sibani ( the waste partner for Perspex) and hope that I can arrange something!
Daven

Post by Daven »

Mine is with a local waste company - I have a large wheelie bin which I can use for all waste - they take it and sort so quite handy!

Let us know how you get on!

Best
Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
izzysdaddy

Post by izzysdaddy »

Evening

I use a company based in Chelmsford Essex called Recycled Plastics. They are owned by Amari Plastics. Amari Plastics transport their own sheet to other branches within the group & believe the branches bring their scrap bins to Basildon (East London) branch. This is where Recycled Plastics collect & process the waste at their factory. Sibani is based approx 4 miles from where I am & yes have the Perspex contract but have heard recently that China is cutting down on the ground waste from them. I have two scrap bins four foot square, four foot high supplied by Recycled Plastics who come to my area on a regular basis. So for me disposing of acrylic waste is not a problem. Nowadays there is no value in acrylic waste as the recycling process is quite expensive. I think I now get about £22 per ton but depending on the market sometimes I get less. I'm not bothered about payment as long as I can dispose the waste at no cost to me. I would help you out disposing the waste but I think it would not be cost effective for you to transport the scrap to me. Forgot to mention I have been a acrylic fabricator for the last 30 years so I am used to handling this material.

Stuart
owner of a LS1290
tilltots

Post by tilltots »

Currently in negotiation to get a bin installed at the Perspex depot on the M65 nr Blackburn. Sibani have been appointed as Perspex's UK recycler but I think they deal in much larger quantities than I produce (About 100 litres to date over 2 years).

As it's such a small amount it's proved quite difficult to arrange this.
LS3060 with a 60W upgrade
Daven

Post by Daven »

tilltots wrote:As it's such a small amount it's proved quite difficult to arrange this.
That's what I found!

Best
Dave
izzysdaddy

Post by izzysdaddy »

Hi

I use a cost effective pallet delivery company to deliver my bulk items. Possibly you could try this method to send your bulk supply to Sibani. The pallet delivery company is called Pallet2ship.

Stuart
owner of a LS1290
Minihack

Post by Minihack »

As a follow up to this, here is what actually happened in the end.
Sibani did not want to collect once they saw where I work (which has limited access for 18 tonne trucks!). I did though eventually agree with a local Halifax recycling contractor called Retech Recycling for them to take delivery ( as with SIbani they could not collect ) of my waste and recycle it without charge or reward.
I set aside a day last week and myself and a friend took two vehicles and two trips to dispose of the waste with Retech. They also told me that China was no longer interested in buying the material for recycling and that they now ship to Vietnam for recycling.
I have now ordered some large grit bins for me to put my waste in here and will most likely from now on recycle it once a year with Retech.