Any other software than Lasercut ?

Please read before posting to the forum

Moderators: HPC, Daven

technomupet67

Any other software than Lasercut ?

Post by technomupet67 »

Hi all,

Has anybody managed to use any other software than lasercut 5.3 with the laserscript machines ? I have had my 6040 for a few years now, but I find the software very average. It really struggles to read modern file formats of illustrator or exports of DXFs from CAD softwares. It is really lacking in my view for what is a great hardware machine.

Recently saw RDworks at a friends machine (chinese device) and it was capable of loading files and retaining colours settings etc...

Anybody tried to port another software to our machines ?

Thanks
Oli
Daven

Re: Any other software than Lasercut ?

Post by Daven »

AFAIK there is not an alternative without changing the controller board.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
technomupet67

Post by technomupet67 »

Hi Dave !,

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if it is easy to swap the controller board ? Has anybody tried already.
I have built a few CNC controlled tools like X-Carve and CNC-Mill, the main board looks like a straight swap for an "open" board, but I am not confident on the "laser" side of the control unit.

Any experience of this in the forum ?

Thanks
Oli
Daven

Post by Daven »

I'm not 100% sure, give Chris a call, he will have a better idea ;) I don't know of anyone trying either. I know there are options out there for the cheap crappy K40 imports.

To be honest I get on fine with LaserScript but I use 'BricsCad' - most of the programs like Illustrator, Corel and Adobe do not export correctly. 99% of file I get that originate from these packages need some sort of tidying up in a proper CAD program. I have not had issues with Laserscript not knowing the layer colour etc so assume that is because it is better matched to a CAD program (rather than a graphic program that exports DXF).

Best
Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Lightnin

Post by Lightnin »

I think most "upgrade" controller board have similar software

if you don't like it, just use it as a "driver" .. then use your favourite software for designing / laying out :-)
technomupet67

Post by technomupet67 »

Thank you all for your answers.
Over time, I have found a path to get the things I want to do sorted and overall I am very happy with my machine.
It is more a annoyance rather than a real problem.
I use mostly Autodesk Inventor for creating the things I want to make. I use my machine for hobby and have a licence as such.
I have tried many demos and trials of all other design tools, but I really connect well with the sketching on Inventor.
The sketching capability is the number one reason I use Inventor. (Recently tried Onshape - which is a close second and far in front of anything else I have tried so far - anybody with another ?)

I can then virtually assemble parts and check they all fit as I want in Invnetor.

My annoyance is the lengthy process to get to the final laserable document:
I design in Inventor, using the sketch features and extruding to the right thickness of material I am using.
I export Faces to DXF, making sure I downgrade to the right version
I then create an illustrator file using creative cloud.
I layout the various parts and add "text" outlines as required or add bitmaps, I ensure correct size/thickness of drawings etc..
I then save a copy using a downgraded illustrator file format, loose any "colour" setup
I then load into lasercut
select all the correct order of cutting and power settings
and finally press "start"

Don't take me wrong it is still "extraordinary" to cut with light etc...but there is an opportunity to make this a lot more straight forward...

Loving my machine and all the amazing creative things I could do if only I had a bit more time to do it !...
Best
Oli
TimBobTastic

Post by TimBobTastic »

I use a mixture of tools...

SolidWork, for 3D modeling, I always use multibody parts and eqations to control thicknes and kerf offsets, that way if i have a thinner or thicker sheet I can output perfectly fitting DXF files, (I include any text i need in the model, even along curved or spiral paths, I then create a drawing with a correctly orientated view of each body and export as a DXF. (I use SW in my day job). DXF files load straight i to both CC and LaserCut

Fusion 360: A very capable cloud based CAD package from AutoDesk an it is quickly becoming my weapon of choice. I find exporting each cut face as a DXF to be a little time consuming, but, for simple items, its a great tool. (I do need to downgrade to older versions for importing into the laser or CC)

Creative Cloud, a great tool, which I use to create artwork on personalised items, simple and intuitive to use. My artboard is usually set to my bed size so I can easily lay out multiple items or copies is required.

DraftSite: a Free 2D drawing editor which i use for the occasional simple component or even editing exported files, sometimes the easiest way to add a radii to a series of corners on a complex shape is to use the fillet command....
LS3060 PLUS with a 60w tube, Chiller and Bofa filter :-)
Online Store http://www.t2kreations.co.uk
Personal Website... http://www.timbobtastic.com
Daven

Post by Daven »

What ever works best for you really - the ultimate issue is the way some programs convert to DXF. Splines tend to throw errors as well so If I get an exported dxf sent in I normally process it via my CAD program - turn all splines to polylines and join any lines etc. The scaling is also an issue with some files (there have been a few posts about this in the past).

Draftsite or DoubleCad are handy to use if you don't have a CAD program - just use it to tidy up before importing to LaserCut.

In some cases I import to LaserCut and then export and re-process as it is a quick way to tidy up some errors.

Best
Dave